Popular Posts

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Five Finger Death Punch and Gym Room Floor Boards: Finding Those Who Make a Real Difference



When you think of role models, who immediately springs to mind? Do you think of sports stars like Tim Tebow, Kobe Bryant, Justin Morneau, Serena Williams or Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh? Or do you think of iconic literary characters like Hermione Granger, Gandalf (Grey or White doesn't matter), Shadow, Aslan, Katniss Everdeen? What about video game or comic book characters, like Batman, Black Widow, Starfire, Laura Croft, Conan or Altiair?

One particular group in the US that is almost never considered good role models are music artists. More often than not they can promote a lifestyle that is offensive to the delicate sensibilities of the American public. That being said, I feel like there is a particular stigma to one of the genres of music closest to my heart:

Heavy Metal.

Yes, you heard it right. I may be a bleeding heart liberal who spends equal time outdoors fishing as he does slaying dragons - but I am a metal-head through and through. I do have a very eclectic taste in music to be sure; I enjoy the dulcet tones of Frank Sinatra and Howard Shore just as much as I do Metallica and Three Days Grace. But back to point, when you think of role models, you think of people that you want to look up to and respect. For me, people who are passionate about their beliefs fall into this category. Several weeks ago I stumbled across this video and song by Five Finger Death Punch. It was written and produced in conjunction with the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. The song is titled Coming Down and I would not recommend it for the feint of heart, it is brutal as it is powerful.

I was completely pulled in, the music; well for me anyway, was brilliant and the message was clear. As I sat and mulled over what I thought I realized that this was not the first time that I had seen something on a similar topic. Last fall, one of my favorite bands released a new record with a track titled Make it Stop (September's Children) and I get chills and a little teary when I hear it sometimes. The song is a tribute to as the front man for the band explains, "The song was written inspired of the teen suicides in the month of September 2010, who were bullied for being homosexual. It deals about how people are treated from homophobic bullying and feeling so tormented that they feel there's no place for them in the future and that killing themselves is a better option." In September 2010 there were approximately 10 teen suicides that were directly linked to bullying, most were due to bullying about sexuality. The names of the victims appear in the lyrics of the song. Additionally the video was shot in the High School where the front-man for the band attended years earlier. It is an official part of the It Gets Better Project



Now, Rise Against is more of a Punk Band than anything, but they still have a conviction that sometimes baffles me. I look their records, and I am hard pressed to find one without a strong political or emotional message. I understand that music is art, and art is art - that it doesn't have to have meaning. But am I so wrong that I think that songs should have a strong sense of purpose and should make us question? Maybe I just expect a lot out of everything that I encounter, but is that so terribly wrong? Though often overlooked for role-models in our lives, metal does have it's merits. However, I think that the real heroes exist somewhere else.


I think that the people who come out of the situations that life gives them and makes them better are the real heroes in our lives. That is why I can still think that the men and women in the armed forces are worth looking up to, they went into hell on earth and came back. The people who over-come adversity and blossom into the most loving people you know, despite having the worst experiences. That is what is worth having in life, that is what is important. Being able to look death in the eye and say, "Yes, I made a difference; I did not shy away and I overcame all that fate threw at me." When I think of what humanity is, or moreover what it should be I think of two things, I think of a band called Cloud Cult, and a song called Kings and Queens. They are not related, but these final two songs will basically sum up how I wish I could feel all the time:









Remember, we are the kings and queens of promise and that I love you all.

I would like to dedicate this post to all of my friends and family who are stronger than most people ever hope to be and have become better people than they ever dreamed. It was a hard journey, but you made it and that is what counts. Not only does It Get Better, you all make my life better.


Stephen Wallace Harper



1 comment:

  1. While you know I am an avid reader of all your posts, this one in particular deserves words of gratitude. I feel privileged to be able to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete