Popular Posts

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Jungle Welcomes You!

Welcome to the Blogosphere!

Alright, so this is a big step for me. Many of the people that know me well, often find their ears and patience tried by my curmudgeonly attitude towards newfangled gadgets. However, after reading a blog post here, I realized that not everything on the internet has to be without meaning. I was under the assumption that blogs only ever talked about nothing or things that only pertained to themselves. Now, there is no need to throw things. I understand the error of my ways now! That being said, the purpose of this blog is to relay my thoughts on a variety of topics; for my first blog I don't really want to limit myself too much - I just need to be writing. I will endeavor to write as scholarly, and with sources, as often as I can or when I find something of interest.

So I've given you my rationale for writing, but I have only hinted at what this blog is about. I'm going to preface the rest of this post with the following: I'm a giant nerd. This blog is about the four things that I find most important in life, as illustrated in the title of the blog. WHAT?! you say, but there are only three things listed at the top! That is not so, possibly the most important thing up there is the word valknut.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Valknut-Symbol-triquetra.png


Valknut is a word of Norse origin which, as I was told and discovered, means a variety of different things. It is most commonly associated with fate and the nine worlds that composed Norse mythology. Additionally, because it is associated with Odin, the All-father, it also means strength of spirit and resolve - and a little bit of warrior's code. Unfortunately it has also come into use in white-supremacy groups in both Europe and the US, but that is not a reason why I chose this. The valknut for the purposes of this blog is a uniting force - the fate of all things brings us together, and the fact that it represents some of the core values I hold dear make it a perfect way to describe what I want to say. Under this heading I will be talking about morals, values, sometimes fate and  fantastic tales that I hear. Source

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ten_thousand.png

The second, and possibly the most important part of this blog is about life: the pursuit of and the trials thereof. This section will cover things like relationships - if that ever comes up - experiences and I would also like to lump in stories from my life or others that don't fit into any of the other categories. Life is full of stories and interesting facts, we can't ignore them or forget them. What is most evident from this section would be that there is always something new to do, or something new to learn  every day - don't squander it.

http://www.thesuperest.com/_img/_heroes/g07_d20.jpg

Thirdly is gaming. As you may have guess from my bio and the other posts you see here, I am a huge nerd. That being said, I am very particular and sometimes very vocal about what I like and don't like: so I am putting all of the cool stuff that I find and that I want to talk about here. I am an avid tabletop gamer; both for wargames and for RPG's so you will find references to those quite often. I also do a fair amount of computer gaming and some console as well - and these references can be found here.




Finally we come to the world: this is where you will hear me gripe a lot. Everything that happens in politics I will put here, so anything that I find that is worth praising or ranting about will go here. I can be very vocal and visceral with my reactions to things; so don't expect a whole lot of minced phrases here. To preface this section, and save some people a headache, I am a liberal. I'm not a commie pinko by any means - but I definitely don't vote conservatively. But, politics are not the only things that happen in the world; there are also innovations in technology or media and as a foreign language nut I will have interesting things to be found here. Also, any traveling I do will be found here.

I hope that this gives you a solid idea of what to find here on my blog. If you have and questions or you really want to gripe at me my email is posted on the blog. Thanks for reading and I hope you find something interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on becoming a blogger! (And thank you much for the shout-out)

    ReplyDelete